CBC cancels Trickster

Updated: The news comes less than two months after reports revealed doubt over the series director and co-creator's Indigenous identity, casting uncertainty over the status of its early renewal.

CBC has decided to not move forward with a second season of Trickster.

“We have had many conversations over the last few weeks with a view to continuing production on a second season of Trickster,” read the statement. “Those conversations included producers, writers, actors, and the author of the books on which Trickster is based. Fully respecting everyone’s perspective, season two will not move forward as planned unfortunately.”

The pubcaster added that it is “as committed as ever to telling other important Indigenous stories,” noting it has eight scripted projects currently in development.

The drama, produced by Sienna Films and Streel Films, was based on the Eden Robinson novel Son of a Trickster. It had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2020. Trickster had a broadcast premiere on CBC on Oct. 27 and recently had its U.S. network premiere on The CW. The pubcaster renewed the series for season two ahead of its debut.

Robinson also released the following statement: “One of the best parts of 2020 was watching the young, Indigenous cast soar. The outpouring of support for the first season was magical. I’m deeply grateful that CBC and Sienna respect this situation. It gives me hope that future collaborations with Indigenous creatives can be done with care and integrity.”

The decision comes less than two months after a CBC News report, published on Dec. 17, revealed members of the Kitigan Zibi community had raised questions about the Indigenous identity of series co-creator, director and executive producer Michelle Latimer. The filmmaker had previously claimed to be Algonquin, Métis and French heritage, and from Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg.

Latimer resigned from Trickster on Dec. 21 in a statement that read, “I have listened to my community and feel that stepping away from the production is the appropriate course of action. I stand by who I am and by my family’s history, but I also understand what is being asked of me. I recognize my responsibility to be accountable to the community and my fellow artists, and that is why I have made this decision.”

The filmmaker added that she fully supported the continuation of the series. She told Variety, in a statement, that she departed Trickster “in the hopes that the show would continue” and was not involved in the decision to ultimately cancel it. A spokesperson from CBC told Playback Daily that Latimer “was not one of the individuals we spoke to over the last few weeks; she resigned from the show in December.”

Co-creator Tony Elliot and consulting producer Danis Goulet also resigned from the series shortly after the report was published. At the time CBC issued a statement that “Trickster is an important show for CBC and the Indigenous communities. We hope that Michelle Latimer and all the partners on Trickster will find their way through this to complete season two following the value and protocols of the Indigenous Screen Office (ISO).”

A community consultation on Indigenous identity was announced by the ISO on Jan. 19, which “will inform future policy decisions.” The consultation will begin with community elders and Indigenous organizations with expertise in the area and will move to broader consultations in the summer. The organization intends to have new policies in place for its next round of funding in fall 2021.

“This is a nuanced issue that requires time to listen to the many different community perspectives. The ISO has a number of mechanisms already in place to vet Indigenous identity and we have always understood that this is an evolving process that will require continued dialogue with community members and more robust policy development as our organization grows. We accept our responsibility in taking a leadership role for the sector on this important issue through this process,” read the statement from the ISO.

Updated on Jan. 29 with remarks from Michelle Latimer and a clarification from CBC

Photo credit: Nadya Kwandibens