B.C. budget: no

news is bad news

Vancouver: While the b.c. government’s March 22 budget didn’t seem to hurt the film and television industry, it didn’t offer expected help either.

Anticipated cuts to British Columbia Film failed to materialize, but so too did a long-awaited investment incentive program and initiatives to encourage more private-sector distribution of b.c.-produced films.

Wayne Sterloff, president and ceo of British Columbia Film, the provincial film funding agency, says, ‘there was a remarkable silence on the whole about any cultural industry initiatives’ in the budget. What this means, he admits, ‘is hard to interpret.’

He was encouraged, however, that British Columbia Film was spared budget cuts for 1994/95. ‘We were bracing ourselves for cuts even though naturally we are always lobbying for increases. To come out unscathed in a recessionary budget is very good news and a strong signal of support from (Minister of Small Business, Tourism and Culture) Bill Barlee. We will be able to maintain our programs at last year’s levels.’

As for any initiatives to encourage more private-sector distribution of b.c.-produced films that were hoped for, Sterloff says it appears the government is still ‘interested and recognizes that a problem in this area exists.’ But the only action forthcoming, he says, is another round of ‘consultations’ with the industry.

Sterloff says the real problem stems from the lack of any private investment incentive scheme. ‘If you offer a big fat carrot like the private investment incentive programs available through ofip or the sogic program, it could be directly linked to the requirement of a local distribution company. Because people will want this private investment incentive, they will immediately set about establishing indigenous distribution (companies). But the budget doesn’t say anything about the private investment incentive.’

Many in the industry, while encouraged that the government continues to support the industry publicly, are frustrated that after three ndp budgets it remains vague about what form, if any, its policy initiatives will take.

Vancouver producer and British Columbia Motion Picture Industry Association board member Jim Carney says government inaction is costing the industry both in time and money. ‘So far, we as an industry have spent thousands upon thousands of hours in endless meetings, consultations with the industry and committees, and spent tens of thousands of dollars on expensive studies, all indicating good intentions, but nothing ever happens. It’s the most glaring example of government wasting resources.

‘Given the very damaging consequences of the recent federal budget changes on the film industry (the elimination of tax shelters), one has to wonder why still there were no compensating initiatives taken in the provincial budget.’

The service side of b.c.’s film industry, however, could be in line for more cash. According to a spokesperson from B.C. Trade Corporation, ‘We intend to make more resources available for the B.C. Film Commission.’

‘As far as I can see,’ says Sterloff , ‘there is nothing obvious in the budget. Maybe there is something hidden,’ he says, optimistically. ‘There could be some provisions for the film industry under the portion of the budget earmarked for `discretionary spending,’ ‘ he adds optimistically. This money, he says ‘appears not to be itemized in the budget so maybe they haven’t made up their minds where this money is going.’