Toronto Mayor John Tory will be heading to Los Angeles this week to promote the city’s film and television industry.
“Film & TV production is a $1B industry in Toronto. Going to LA this week because I want it to grow,” Tory tweeted from his Twitter account Monday afternoon.
Director of Entertainment Industries Zaib Shaikh will be going to L.A. with the mayor, Tory tweeted. The mayor will meet with 11 studios while in L.A., including CBS, Paramount, Sony and Warner Brothers. In a release, the city said the 11 studios collectively have $800 million in development planned for Toronto in 2016.
Tory will also meet with L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti, who has been vocal about his concerns regarding “runaway production” from the city as film and television shoots are lured elsewhere by attractive financial incentives. Last year, Garcetti also signed an executive directive for a nymber of measures to better streamline film and television production activities in the city.
Tory will also host a networking reception to help build business relations between Toronto and L.A. screen industry representatives. This event will be held before the An Evening with Canada’s Stars, an annual event presented by Telefilm Canada, the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television and the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles that celebrates Canada’s screen industry.
Delegates also making the trip to L.A. include Pinewood Toronto Studios president Blake Steels, Deluxe’s VP of sales Diane Cuthbert, Cinespace VP Jim Mirkopoulos, Canadian Film Capital president David Carter, William F. White’s VP of industry and government relations, and TriBro Studios president Peter Apostolopoulos.
The L.A. trip comes as the Canadian dollar continues to hover around 73 cents, with 2015 forecasted to be one of the busiest production years in Toronto’s history, the city said in a release. Tory’s business mission is a collaborative public/private sector initiative, supported by Toronto’s screen-based service providers.