Nova Scotia increases production incentive fund

The fund, which replaced the province's tax credit program last year, has been increased by $1.5 million.

The government of Nova Scotia has announced that it has increased its Film and Television Production Incentive Fund by $1.5 million.

The fund, which previously stood at $10 million, will now be increased to a capped $11.5 million for fiscal 2016-17. Introduced last year after the province’s tax credit program was scrapped, the incentive fund provides between 25% to 32% of eligible costs (such as labour, goods and services) purchased from suppliers based in Nova Scotia.

The province’s industry had initially hoped the incentive fund would be altered as part of the 2016 budget, announced in April, though no changes were made at the time.

A press release issued by the provincial government said “it is forecasted that $11.5 million will be needed under the fund for 2016-17.”

As of May 31, Nova Scotia Business, the organization that administers the fund, said that $4.9 million of the fund had been used across 17 projects. Mr. D ($1,640,533), feature film Halloween Party ($299,143), Trailer Park Boys Out of the Park: Europe ($810,368) were among the productions to receive a share of the fund.

Image via Kevin Brine/Shutterstock