Notables on hand for World Film Festival opener

MONTREAL — Referring to the Montreal World Film Festival as the city’s most important cultural event, fete vice-president Danièle Cauchard couldn’t resist drawing attention to the government’s recent multimillion-dollar cuts as the 32nd edition got underway Thursday night.

Reeling off a list of quotes about culture by world greats, she noted at the opening ceremony that the words ‘culture’ and ‘cultural agencies’ are finding their way into a lot of editorials in Canada these days.

The red-carpet attendees included Liberal critic Denis Coderre, an outspoken critic of the cuts, a slew of Quebec government cultural representatives, Governor General Michaëlle Jean and her husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, whose new documentary, Folle de Dieu, is screening in the festival.

Also on hand were Pierre Karl Péladeau, head of the fete’s new sponsor Quebecor; American producer Alan Ladd Jr., whose career is being celebrated; and fest opener Faubourg 36‘s director Christophe Barratier and lead actress Nora Arnezeder, who, along with ticket holders, strode up the red carpet to the Chariots of Fire theme.

Faubourg 36‘s screening was a world premiere. The film is set in 1936 and tracks a group of unemployed workers who try to revive the local theater.

Beaming WFF founder Serge Losique, clad in his trademark black clothes and ball cap, presented a trophy to Ladd Jr., as part of the festival’s tribute to the former Twentieth Century Fox head and indie producer who has been involved with On Golden Pond, The Blade Runner, Alien and Young Frankenstein.

‘I’m really moved because you are the best producer that Hollywood has ever produced,’ said Losique. ‘You have 50 Oscars, but remember, this [trophy] is the best one.’

Ladd Jr. responded to the delight of the audience, ‘Thank you very much. I thought I’d get a Lamborghini.’

Legendary American actor Tony Curtis and his wife are here for the North American premiere of their film The Jill and Tony Curtis Story, which is about their fight to ensure the dignity of horses. It’s being distributed by Evolution Video & Television in Canada. The couple is in Montreal until Aug. 26.

American director Brian De Palma will be giving a master class, while U.S. actor Bill Pullman is expected to represent the sci-fi movie Your Name Here, and French actress Isabelle Huppert is coming for a tribute.

However, Losique has always said his festival isn’t about the stars, but about unspooling films from around the world. This year’s edition features 234 feature films, 105 of which are international premieres.

‘This festival is a cinematic breeding ground for young talent, and it’s a festival of content,’ said Cauchard.

While other sectors of the industry are facing public cuts, Losique’s fete appears to be on the rebound, as $720,000 in grants from the City of Montreal and the Quebec government, including $254,000 from Quebec film agency SODEC, were announced last week. The figure is up drastically from the $480,000 WFF got last year, and zero when funding was pulled in 2004, amid accusations of mismanagement and a lack of transparency. Telefilm Canada is also back, but it has not confirmed how much it will be contributing.

The festival faces tough competition as it tries to attract press and industry, as it’s sandwiched between Venice and Toronto, which is known for its active film market and star wattage. Little business is conducted at the Montreal fest.

Losique, though, would be the first to point out that his festival is embraced by the public, who fill the seats.

WFF runs until Sept. 1.