Theater impresario Garth Drabinsky is aiming to add a little sophistication to reality TV. Triple Sensation, a series he’s producing and appearing in, is aimed at finding Canadians who are talented in three areas: singing, dancing and acting.
But Triple Sensation is not ‘an exercise in karaoke’ and won’t debase contestants like other talent-finding shows do, but rather will celebrate them, says Drabinsky, in an interview with Playback. He likens it to a cross between Bravo!’s Inside the Actor’s Studio and the audition scenes in the movie Billy Elliot.
‘It’s a gritty, honest show. We’re not trying to manipulate the audience,’ he says, adding that he wouldn’t go so far as to call it highbrow.
The first of three two-hour episodes is scheduled to air on the CBC beginning Sunday, Oct. 7 at 8 p.m. and continuing the following two Sundays. Although the series is only scheduled for three nights and will be positioned as a special event, Drabinsky hopes strong ratings will lead to a renewal.
In a subsequent conversation with Playback, when asked whether he was pleased with the pubcaster’s promotion of his show so far, the producer paused and then said, ‘[Promotion] is always a challenge for the CBC,’ but then added he was optimistic about his show’s chances.
Of course, some critics believe that our national broadcaster shouldn’t even go near reality shows. Triple Sensation is only the latest in a series from the Ceeb that also includes the successful Dragon’s Den, the forthcoming No Opportunity Wasted and The Second City’s Next Comedy Legend.
CBC spokesperson Jeff Keay notes doing reality TV is not new for the network. ‘CBC has always been involved in producing reality TV. Back in the 1950s, it was Front Page Challenge. What Triple Sensation is trying to do is consistent with our mandate, and relevant to Canadians,’ he says.
Arthur Lewis, executive director of interest group Our Public Airwaves, doesn’t disagree, noting that in its concept and approach, Triple Sensation seems appropriate.
‘The BBC has been doing reality TV successfully for years. Why not the CBC?’ he says.
Triple Sensation is directed by CBC veteran Shelagh O’Brien (Stars on Ice, the Just for Laughs galas), coproduced by Sari Friedland (Slings & Arrows), coproduced and written by Alex Ganetakos (Made in Canada) and co-executive produced by Sandy Pearl with creator Drabinsky. The host is Andrew Craig, host of CBC Radio Two’s In Performance concert series.
Drabinsky wants the show to be a wake-up call for government.
‘From this show, I hope politicians will have a better reason to speak to arts funders. It’s important for the cultural health of the country. Performing arts receive the least amount of tax incentives when compared to television and film, which receive huge provincial and federal support,’ he says.
Auditions, open to 16-26-year-olds, were held across Canada, with 12 performers being chosen to attend master classes run by the best in the business, including Broadway stars Chita Rivera and Joel Grey. Actress Diane D’Aquila oversees the master class instructors.
There will be no public voting. The top candidates, chosen from those that attend the master classes, will perform before a panel. Actress Cynthia Dale, choreographer Sergio Trujillo, composer Marvin Hamlisch, director Adrian Noble and Drabinsky, in the producer role, will decide the winner.
Drabinsky explains that, as in most theatrical auditions, the panel members will not trade thoughts on the performances in front of the contestants, but will adjudicate behind closed doors. The top performer will earn a $150,000 scholarship to attend a top-notch theatrical training institution of their choice, such as The Julliard School or the National Theatre School of Canada.
Drabinsky sees the prize fitting in with the premise of the show – that making it in theater is not about immediate stardom, but the start of a long road to excellence.
His work on Triple Sensation comes as he awaits trial next May, accused, along with four other executives, of defrauding $500 million from his defunct theater company Livent. He has continued to work since his legal trouble began in 1999. He is best known in film and TV circles for launching Cineplex theaters in 1979. His credits as a producer include the award-winning features The Silent Partner (1978) and The Changeling (1980) and, more recently, The Gospel of John (2003).
-With files from Mark Dillon