Inquiry launched into NMFF

Montreal: A former Quebec culture minister is leading an inquiry into why $1 million in public funds went to the organizers of the now-defunct New Montreal FilmFest, in light of recent evidence that brings the decision into question.

Denis Vaugeois, the province’s culture minister from 1978-81, will lead the inquiry, following up on documents recently made public by the current culture critic, Daniel Turp (PQ, Mercier), and which relate to the bids submitted in 2004 to SODEC and Telefilm Canada to win funding for a new or expanded film festival in Montreal.

Both agencies had recently pulled their support from the World Film Festival following a squabble with its boss, Serge Losique.

The money eventually went to L’Équipe Spectra and the umbrella organization Regroupement pour un festival de cinéma à Montréal. But the documents obtained by Turp reveal – based on a point system used by the selection committee to rank the bids – that the Festival du Nouveau Cinéma was initially the top choice.

The point system was later dropped by the committee for reasons that are not clear. The documents were obtained by an Access to Information request.

The documents also show that the SODEC board flip-flopped on the Spectra bid in late 2004 – voting unanimously against it on Dec. 13, and, just four days later, all in favor of it.

SODEC president Jean-Guy Chaput reportedly told a national assembly hearing on Feb. 23 that the decision was reversed because Spectra and Regroupement said, at the time and behind closed doors, that they were looking to merge with the FNC. The documents also reveal, however, that FNC had already turned down that same merger proposal. (NMFF would repeat its marriage offer to FNC to no avail in late 2005.)

An additional $1 million also went to Spectra and Regroupement from other provincial, federal and municipal departments.

SODEC could not be reached for further comment.

The inquiry will focus on the Quebec funding agency. Telefilm, which is a federal agency, will not be called.

The NMFF held its first and only edition last fall, drawing only some 100,000 filmgoers and a $850,000 deficit.

The Vaugeois inquiry, on behalf the Quebec national assembly, is expected to report its findings on April 11.