ACCESS

future in

question

vancouver: Alberta producers are up in arms following the recent news that the government of Alberta plans to put ACCESS Network, the province’s educational broadcaster, on the chopping block.

Earlier this month it was announced that Premier Ralph Klein’s new Alberta government was exploring various alternatives to replace the $16 million in public funds used to operate the public network. access has established three committees to examine its assets, severance packages for staff and the feasibility of private funding.

Andy Thomson, president of the Alberta Motion Picture Industry Association and Great North Communications of Edmonton, says the news is ‘devastating.’

‘From what I understand, it’s not just planned cuts, they intend to close the place down. I think it’s unbelievably shortsighted on behalf of the Alberta government… at a time when 50 other people are fighting over a broadcast licence, the Alberta government is prepared to turn its back.’

The government’s demand for massive budget cuts also spurred the unexpected resignation of access’ president Don Thomas. Although Thomas could not be reached for comment, Thomson says Thomas offered to trim access’ budget by 40% over five years, recognizing the government’s need to cut deficit spending, but that wasn’t enough.

The cuts will have a huge effect on independent production in Alberta, says Thomson. ‘access as part of atec (Association of Tele-education of Canada) was involved in the financing of a substantial number of documentary films. That means next year the number of documentaries will be reduced and none of them will be coming from Alberta. Why would the other provinces bother to put money into a project coming out of Alberta when Alberta won’t be able to reciprocate on other projects?’

Says access chairman Gail Hinchcliffe: ‘In our review we are not as concerned with access as an entity, we are more concerned with the services that access provides in the province, so we will be looking at all the access services to see if there is a better way of providing them.’

A report synthesizing the information is anticipated early in the new year.

As for the impact on independent producers in Alberta who provide programming for access, Hinchcliffe thinks a reorganization of the educational network could spell more work for producers if all in-house production is discontinued. ‘After all, the services are still going to be required, so if anything, the impact on producers will be positive,’ she says.

Thomson says ‘that (an increase in independent production) might be true if access was planning on getting rid of all of its in-house production staff but was still planning on continuing its broadcast operations. But that’s not what they are saying, they’re talking about going off the air. So then where will the market be for our product?’

He adds: ‘The government has requested that the network come up with a plan by Jan. 31 that will reduce their $18 million annual budget by $16 million – the amount currently coming from public funding – by the end of this fiscal year. So if you’re planning on reducing your budget by 95% and still staying on the air, anyone with any sense can realize that staying on the air under that scenario is just not an option. In effect, they’re saying get out of business.’

access isn’t the only government agency being considered for cuts. Earlier this fall, the Alberta government privatized Alberta liquor stores and is also proposing major cuts to the Alberta health care system.

‘We are looking at cuts in all areas that we have traditionally looked to government to handle. We want to find a better and more economically responsible way to run access,’ says Hinchcliffe.

The possibility of sustaining the network through subscriptions is another option being considered by the government. However, Thomson says making up the $16 million shortfall in government financing just through public sponsorship would be unrealistic, to say the least.