CMF, Belgium’s Wallimage award $600K via digi incentive

The program supported three Canada/Belgium transmedia coproduction projects in its inaugural round of financing.
digitalmedia2-shutterstock2

The Canada Media Fund and Belgium’s Wallimage have provided $600,000 in financing across three Canada/Belgian copros under the Canada-Wallonia Digital Media Incentive.

Of the selected projects, two are in the development phase, while one is in the production stage. To be eligible, the digital media projects must be coproductions between Belgium and Canada. The money invested by Wallimage must be spent in the Wallonia region by the Belgium producer. The Canadian producer must spend 75% of their expenses in Canada. The remaining 25% can be spent in any other country.

Quebec-based Kung Fu Numerik and Belgium-based Dancing Dog Productions’ Work in Progress – tout salaire mérite-t-il travail? will receive $40,000 from the CMF and another $27,000 from Wallimage for development. The transmedia project will reflect on the human experience of work.

Quebec-based Kondololé Films and Belgium- based Wajnbrosse’s Kinshasa Now will receive $30,000 from the CMF and $45,000 from Wallimage. Kinshasa is being developed as an interactive project that can raise awareness about 30,000 children who have been accused of witchcraft and abandoned in the streets of the city of Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Currently in production, Urbance will receive $230,000 of Canadian funding and $228,000 of Belgian funding. The copro by Quebec’s Steamboat Studio and Belgium’s Frakas Productions will allow users to dive into a post-modern world where men and women live apart.

The Canada Media Fund and Wallimage partnered last November to provide a financial incentive program to encourage multiplatform digital media coproductions between Canadian and Belgian companies. The two organizations contributed an equal share to the total funding distributed in this latest round of financing.

- Image courtesy of Shutterstock