Leslie Hope

Leslie Hope to make feature directorial debut

The actress will step behind the camera for The Swearing Jar, produced by Toronto’s Monkeys & Parrots and Winnipeg’s Farpoint Films.

Andria Wilson pic

Inside Out expands its scope with key funding partnerships

The LGBTQ film festival recently became a designated partner of Telefilm’s Talent to Watch program and has plans to build out its fledgling finance forum.

Hobbie picture

Aircraft to produce Holly Hobbie TV show for Hulu

The live-action scripted series is based on the classic American Greetings character and property.

joly_m_360

Melanie Joly kicks off trade mission in China

More than 50 Canadian companies, including Vancouver’s Rare Earth Media, are accompanying Canadian Heritage on the five-day trip.

Joel Thomas Hynes

CBC’s Little Dog returns to the ring

The second season of Cameron Pictures and Elemental Pictures’ dark comedy is slated to join the pubcaster’s Winter 2019 lineup.

Ex on the Beach

eOne buys majority stake in U.K. prodco Whizz Kid

The Toronto company acquired a 70% stake in the unscripted production outfit and has the option to purchase the remaining 30% after a five-year period.

Dexter Ong

Wattpad Studios eyes growth in Asia

After securing a $61 million investment from partners including China’s Tencent, the Toronto company’s Studios banner has appointed Dexter Ong to head up its new office.

How to Buy a Baby

How to Buy a Baby wins best comedy at the Indie Series Awards

Filth City and Out With Dad also nabbed prizes at the event, which celebrates independent web series from around the world.

Hot Sheet

Hot Sheet: Digital Demand March 27 to April 2, 2018

Marvel’s Jessica Jones leads the list, followed by Stranger Things at #2 and Santa Clarita Diet at #3.

shutterstock_film student

In brief: HGF, Creative BC launch shorts program

Plus: The CMF’s Encore+ YouTube channel will now offer a Hot Docs Collection, plus more news.

OutTV

OUTtv commissions three new series

The LGBTQ network has also ordered a fourth season of Don’t Quit Your Gay Job from Vancouver’s Convergent Entertainment.

bernie2

CBC heads back to Street Legal

Teaming up with Bernie Zukerman (pictured) from Indian Grove Productions, the pubcaster is in development on six new episodes of the legal drama.

Mary Bredin

Mary Bredin to exit Guru Studio

The EVP of content and strategy at the Toronto children’s entertainment company is leaving to pursue work as a consultant.

Copied from Media in Canada - Copied from Playback - shutterstock_122945545 - money 100 x 667

Corus revenue, profit hold steady in Q2 financials

Gains in both subscriber and merchandising revenues offset a 3% decrease in quarterly TV advertising revenue.