Film

Troll

Canadian-produced animated feature lands distribution partner

Production on Troll: The Tale of a Tail is to start by September, with all of the animation work planned for Canada, says Blue Bug Entertainment producer Jean Aubert.

Canada Screens image

First Weekend Club and NFB launch CanadaScreens.ca

The VOD-based streaming site will offer Canadian films on a transactional basis, and curated lists of personal picks from big-name Canadian film and TV talent.

Photo from Shutterstock

Telefilm, Rogers Group of Funds invest $625K across 7 docs

The latest films by Nettie Wild, Mila Aung-Thwin and Rama Rau are among the projects that will receive production and post-production coin through the fund.

OutWithDad

WGC unveils 2015 awards nominees

This year’s batch of nominees include the writers behind Orphan Black, 19-2 and Out with Dad (pictured).

Hot Sheet

Hot Sheet: Top 5 Canadian films April 3, 2015 to April 9, 2015

La passion d’Augustine is the top Canadian film at the box office for the week of April 3 to April 9, followed by L’empreinte.

Hot Sheet

Hot Sheet: Top 10 films April 3, 2015 to April 9, 2015

Furious 7 tops the box office for the week of April 3 to April 9, while the Canadian La passion d’Augustine hits #8.

Halifax image from NS Tourism

Producers push for extension of Nova Scotia tax credit

Nova Scotia film and TV producers are now in the bargaining phase to salvage what they can from a key production incentive, including an extension through the end of 2015.

Hot Sheet

Hot Sheet: Top 20 DVDs March 23, 2015 to March 29, 2015

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies tops the DVD chart for the week of March 16 to March 22, while the #2 spot goes to Into the Woods.

Copied from Kidscreen - Annedroids

Bell Fund distributes $4.7M across 38 projects

Digital media companions for Canada’s Smartest Person and Annedroids (pictured) were among those selected for financing in this latest round.

mikecphoto / Shutterstock.com

Nova Scotia rejigs film tax credit

The production incentive will now be only 25% fully refundable, with the remaining 75% of the eligible tax credit to be non-refundable.